A free vein screening and ultrasound at Empire Vein Specialists are the perfect no-obligation way to learn about what we can do to help you become free of the pain and discomfort of your varicose veins. From start to finish a vein screening takes about 45 minutes and the valuable information you will receive will enable you to make important healthcare decisions about your varicose veins. Here’s what you can look forward to at your free vein screening:
Step 1: A Short Survey to Determine Your Potential Risk Factors
While heredity is one of the biggest risk factors for varicose veins, there other important risk factors to be aware of that this short survey will help reveal and which could be contributing to your condition or may influence your treatment options. For example, your likelihood of developing varicose veins increases as you age, if you are female, and if you have a sedentary job. Additional predisposing factors include obesity, smoking, history of blood clots, damaged veins, or previous surgeries.
Step 2: Ultrasound Screening
A brief ultrasound examination will guide us to your problem areas, locate faulty vein valves, and evaluate venous insufficiency to help determine the extent and nature of the problem. Ultrasound is a comfortable, non-invasive, and completely painless procedure that shows where the blood flow returning to your heart from your legs is good and where there might be reduced flow due to diseased or faulty vein valves.
To best prepare for your ultrasound screening and ensure we get the highest quality image, we ask that you:
- Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water on the day of your visit to expand the fluid in your veins and make them easier for the ultrasound machine to visualize.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes to your screening appointment, such as shorts or a skirt. The ultrasound wand will need to be in direct contact with your skin, so avoid wearing leggings or pantyhose or be prepared to remove them for the exam.
- Avoid using skin lotion as this can interfere with the ultrasound gel that is used to help the ultrasound waves travel smoothly between the surface of your skin and the ultrasound machine.
Step 3: A Brief Physical Assessment
One of our specially trained board-certified nurse practitioners will perform a brief physical assessment of your legs to look for any visible signs of vein insufficiency and varicose or spider veins.
Step 4: Post-Screening Discussion and Treatment Plan
Following your risk profile survey, ultrasound scan, and brief physical assessment, the nurse practitioner will meet with you to summarize the findings from the screening tools and advise you on the best treatment options for your needs.
At Empire Vein Specialists, we offer proven, reliable varicose vein and spider vein treatments using innovative, non-surgical technologies. These procedures are performed in-office under local anesthesia and provide outstanding results with short healing times, little discomfort, and superior symptom improvement.
Depending upon the results of your free vein screening and ultrasound you may be recommended for one or a combination of the following treatments:
- VenaSealTM – a permanent solution for varicose veins that works by injection of a medical grade adhesive that closes off the affected veins. VenaSealTM is the leading outpatient varicose vein treatment in the U.S. and Empire Vein Specialists is the nation’s largest provider of VenaSealTM.
- ClosureFastTM – uses radiofrequency ablation to treat affected veins. ClosureFastTM is particularly helpful for treating larger varicose veins.
- Sclerotherapy – uses an injection of a liquid or foam-type compound directly into veins that causes the veins to collapse. Over a few weeks’ time blood reroutes to healthy veins while the treated veins are reabsorbed into the surrounding tissue.
Step 5: Coverage Review
A member of our dedicated insurance team is always available to review your insurance plan and provide you with detailed information on varicose and spider vein treatment coverage options offered by your plan. We accept most major PPOs, some HMOs, Medicare, IEHP, and many more insurance plans. Please speak with one of our Patient Care Coordinators to determine if we accept your insurance. We also offer Care Credit, a healthcare credit card, for those without insurance or to help you manage any out-of-pocket costs.
We cordially invite you to schedule a free vein screening consultation at Empire Vein Specialists where you can learn about simple procedures that can resolve your varicose vein problems with efficient coverage and payment options. All of our physicians are board-certified vascular surgeons who specialize in helping people like you.
To schedule a free vein screening consultation, please call 1-800-VARICOSE (1-800-827-4267) today.
- Clinical and Genetic Determinants of Varicose Veins. Circulation, 2018. 138(25): p. 2869-2880
- Clinical and duplex ultrasound evaluation of lower extremities varicose veins – a practical guideline. Vasa, 2017. 46(5): p. 325-336
- Varicose Vein Examination – OSCE guide. Available from: